Encaustic Paintings

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Maker

I am a maker. I find myself making things, art, items, jewelry, figures, images, mandala's obsessively.  The form doesn't matter, but is dictated by feelings and the mood I am in, what does matter is the sense of joy and engagement and healing, I experience in  the making of things, one after another.


I often judge myself for not sticking with one things over time, or creating fine art, or developing skills in a progressive manner.  What I love to do is make things.
I just get on a roll, get called to create something and then make it in multiples. Again and again, until something else calls to me.  As you may know, I have been making pendants from my mandala art, and just recently started making pendants of one of my favorite artists, Frida Kahlo.
Hence the multiples, begin again.  These photos are of the series of Frida Pendants that I recently made.
After I create a series, I realize I have so many of these creative products or items, that I have to do something with them. That is what has led me to doing craft fairs, and starting so many etsy stores.  Selling them is always the next step, along with giving them away to people I love.  I make until something else calls to me.

I love Frida for her honesty and bravery in sharing the truth of her inner world through images. Bold, brave and so ahead of her time, she was groundbreaking, and provocative. 
She is one of my inner artist guides.   
Bravo Frida!!!   
Each of these pendants can be found for sale, on my store 





Frida Kahlo de Rivera (born Magdalena Carmen Frieda Kahlo y Calderón; July 6, 1907 – July 13, 1954) was a Mexican painter, born in Coyoacán, who is best known for her self-portraits, and her ability to paint her inner world and the bravery to share her pain with others through her art. 

Kahlo's life began and ended in Mexico City, in her home known as the Blue House. She gave her birth date as July 7, 1910, but her birth certificate shows July 6, 1907. Kahlo had allegedly wanted the year of her birth to coincide with the year of the beginning of the Mexican revolution so that her life would begin with the birth of modern Mexico. Her work has been celebrated in Mexico as emblematic of national and indigenous tradition, and by feminists for its uncompromising depiction of the female experience and form.  But what distinguishes her work more, and has made her the darling of art therapists, is how she was able to express her personal journey and pain,  from a brutal early accident that she had as a young adult, which affected her entire life, living with intense pain, from then on.  Art became her companion, guide and a deeply healing modality.

Bravo Frida!!!

Frida Kahlo SoulCollage® card - Community Suit
Inner Artist Guide




No comments: