Encaustic Paintings

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Encaustic- Back in the Studio on a Hot day....yay

"

6"x6" on cradled clay hardboard
Here are two new encaustics that I did in the past two days....It was hot in the studio, but I was happy to finally get in there and crank up the hot wax and hot plate.  I am selling my jewelry at an Italian Festa on Oct. 11th and decided to do a few encaustics that somehow related to my Italian, sicilian heritage.

The Mandonna encaustic is from a photo I took in Sicily outside my zia Dora's house.  It was built into the stucco wall in the back yard.  These little nichio's or altare's are hidden in many backyards all over Sicily.  I wish I would have taken more photos of them when I was there.  Maybe next time..( hopefully) 

I loved the photo but never knew what to do with it.  I this piece is another addition to my nichio, madonna, goddess series.  The Sun is just a lovely old middle ages etching that I photo transfered onto an encaustic background.  I plan on writing Buon Giornio on it with carbon paper or?? not sure yet.  I have to say that I was excited to get back to my wax work after just not being motivated for quite a while.  I think its the fall that gets me going.   Blue and orange are colors that keep calling me these days.  I put beeswax on about 4 more small masonite panels as well, so we shall see where I go next with my Italia series.  Horray... I am having waxy joy buildup!



No comments: