Encaustic Paintings

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Mandala Workshop REFLECTIONS


Summer Solstice is upon us and this Sunday we are facilitating  the Summer Solstice Mandala Retreat Workshop.  In honor of this   I thought I would post some of my Summer Solstice Mandalas,   as  well as one of  Mary Oliver's most powerful poems.  

Through the ages  there have been traditions and rituals upheld during this 
time, from the Native American Indians to the Nordic and the Celtic people.  Awed by the great power of the sun, the amazing Mandala in the sky, the cycles of the seasons, the earth we live on and the great circular womb of creation, civilizations celebrated the first day of Summer. 

In ancient times, it was considered a time of fullness, worldly blessings and celebration.  Not much has changed for us as we live outdoors, celebrate with friends,  connect with the bounty of the earth with all of  its beauty and  savor life.  I love the experience of stopping   time when I draw mandalas.  When we transition from season to season,   honoring this change and  reflecting on my life  cycles, in always enhanced when I create mandala's in community with others.  This Sunday we will pay homage to Earth, Water, Fire and Air,  the Four Elements in our Mandala Workshop.  I look forward to seeing the that  art will emerge from this day, I will post images next week.
       

Who made the world?

Who made the swan, and the black bear?

Who made the grasshopper?

This grasshopper, I mean--

the one who has flung herself out of the grass,

the one who is eating sugar out of my hand,

who is moving her jaws back and forth instead of up and down,

who is gazing around with her enormous and complicated eyes.

Now she lifts her pale forearms and thoroughly washes her face.

Now she snaps her wings open, and floats away.

 

I don't know exactly what a prayer is.

I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down

into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,

how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,

which is what I have been doing all day.

Tell me, what else should I have done?

Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?


Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?

  

 

~ Mary Oliver ~

 



4 comments:

Caterina Giglio said...

i LOVE -love this poem! and your mandalas are beautiful!

Caterina Martinico said...

Yes!! I love Mary Oliver all her work is powerful and evocative. Thank you.

Cyndee Greene said...

Oh Catarina~These Mandalas are incredible! Have a glorious workshop at the Cosmic Cowgirls studio. They are women that are SO dear to my heart! I was just there last night in celebration of Shiloh's b-day. And am just amazed to learn of the web that forms as I move out into the world. I.e. you doing a workshop there :)

Caterina Martinico said...

Yes Cyndee the circle of connection is large, interesting huh.? I look forward to working in their space.