Encaustic Paintings

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Citra Solv - Wowie Zowie

I have been thinking about playing around with creating collage paper with Citra-Solv for a while now, but since I have begun leading SoulCollage®  workshops, I have been cutting out background images for the groups obsessively as of late.  The other day I finally got together all the supplies and spent an afternoon, outside under a tree, playing with National Geographics and Citra Solv.
 Oh my goodness, did I have fun, there is a bit of a learning curve getting started, but talk about Easy Peazy...it really is a no brainer.  National Geographics....I used both older and newer and both worked.
 Rubber gloves, and newspapers outside  in the fresh air, and to prevent messes.
 Vibrantly colored images that have lots of contrast...
 Concentrated Citra Solv, a tin pan to pour it in and I used a rubber brush, but a sprayer or any brush will do.
 Dribble, brush, spray, drop or splatter  the citra solv    onto the page, move it around
 Smush the pages onto each other and leave them for a little while
 Pull up the paper as it dries, brush around a little more...or blend in areas with a brush
 and walla, absolutely stunning results....
 Some of these can stand on there own as works of art.
 Perfect for collage backgrounds, as well as SoulCollage® card backgrounds to say the least.

they are gorgeous, absolutely stunning
 So I decided to post them here, just because I am enamored with the results
 The smell is quite strong, but not unpleasant and lasts for days on the pages
 But the results are beyond belief.  Try it if you are intrigued.
I will show the  SoulCollage® card  that I used a citra solv  background in, the next time I post here.
What a blast, absolute joyful creative play, just what the doctor ordered!  Try it, I bet you'll like it as well.

4 comments:

Carolyn Abrams said...

These are awesome! where do you find citra solv? is it a hardware store item? or an artists supply?

Caterina Martinico said...

Citra-Solv is an organic cleaner/ degreaser. It is made of oranges. I bought it at Olivers Market in (a market/health food store in Santa Rosa, CA). where I live Try health food stores, it all depends on where you live. Citra-Sol has a website, with an artist gallery of CitraSolv art as well.

Good luck finding it. I will add a link to CitraSolv's web site on the blog.

Have fun with it.

basia said...

Looks intriguing...thanks for sharing. I will look for some Citra-Solv!

Caterina Martinico said...

Yes, have fun with it. I love an engaging process and this truely is.