Encaustic Paintings

Monday, April 4, 2011

Abstraction is a challenge for me

I work in so many different media, that I have to find ways to trick myself into doing some of them.  I love to paint with acrylics, but rarely do these days because I am so pulled by many different processes. One way in which I get myself to paint, is to never leave paint unused.  
I have a magical little girl who comes to paint with me at my studio.  She loves to use lots of color, so after we meet I always use the paint she has left over to begin a new painting.


I give myself permission to do whatever, 
not worry about outcome
spread the paint across the canvas impulsively
know that I can use this as a base for collage so anything goes
be thrifty- and have fun
I have begun a series of these paintings.
This is one that I just recently began and then subsquently
worked on over a series of studio sessions.


This painting kept changing from its initial impulsive, expressive beginning.  I was hoping to stay completely abstract with it, but the last time I worked on it, the image of the bird and then the flower emerges.  I loved each in their own way, so let them stay.  I however, really respect abstract painters and wish I could stay completely abstract and free from imagery.  But I really find that a challenge.  Nonetheless, I like this piece and feel it is complete.

If you are an abstract painter, how do you stay committed to the non representational, I would love to hear from you.  

2 comments:

kiminnm said...

I think the conscious mind wants to make something appear so you have to resist that and work with color and form..mine seem to become organic in nature and suddenly faces appear seeming out of the blue. But with anything creative ..I try and put the critic aside and let the painting be what it is going to be. Almost as if "I" don't have any control!!
Kim from NM

Caterina Martinico said...

Thank you for that Kim, I too have to put that critical self aside. That is what happened in this painting.
Thanks again.