Encaustic Paintings

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Summer Solstice - Mandala Workshop Photos

On Sunday Patricia and I facilitated another Mandala Workshop.  It was such a lovely group and a relaxing and healing day of artmaking.  I really enjoyed diving into another mandala.  I was very fortunate to be able to take several long rests, since I am still slowly regaining my stamina from my hip surgery. Patricia held the energy and led the group, while I retreated to my house for a nap in both the a.m. and pm.  That is one of the things that   is wonderful about having a partner to work with, as well teaching in my studio.
Here are some photos of the day.
All together around the tables in my studio.

Practice scale of light mandalas...

Black and white  scale of light mandalas....
Beginnings....



I love how individual and totally unique each mandala is.
It was also amazing to witness each mandala transform over time and with color.

  Here are some photos of folks working in process on their mandalas.





and another...
They are all stunning in the white on black at no matter what stage they are at.

Here is Penelope starting to add color to her spider mandala.  
This is my mandala as it continues to evolve..

And now for some color.

Unfortunately this photo of Diana's Mandala came out blurred, but I still want to show it.




Experimenting with the use of color and the white pencils..
Barries Mandala is an honoring of the plants and animals she see's as she walks the trails of sonoma County.


'Christi's Mandala with color added.  

So that is a taste of some of the work done this past Sunday.  A few mandala's were not shown in color, or in the early stages.  But you can see the amazing beauty that emerged in each persons work.  However, the most important part of the experience was the actual process, that each person had as they worked through the day.  That cannot be duplicated by mere photos. The feeling, of depth and connection that comes as we move inward, and just pay attention to balancing and expressing on paper, moment by moment.  Thanks for joining us as we work in the sacred circle. 

1 comment:

basia said...

All are Awesome!